Shocking Austin Shooting Today: What You Must Know Right Now in 2026
18 mins read

Shocking Austin Shooting Today: What You Must Know Right Now in 2026

Introduction

The Austin shooting today shook an entire city that was just going about its weekend. Residents woke up Sunday morning to emergency alerts, shelter-in-place orders, and the terrifying news that shootings had been happening all around them since Saturday afternoon. It was not one incident. It was not two. By the time police had the situation under control, at least 12 separate shooting incidents had taken place across multiple parts of the city.

You deserve a clear, fact-based account of what happened, who was involved, and what authorities are saying right now. This article walks you through the full timeline, the victims, the suspects, the law enforcement response, and the many questions that still remain unanswered. Whether you live in Austin or simply want to understand this alarming story, keep reading.

What Happened During the Austin Shooting Today

A 19-Hour Spree That Paralyzed the City

This was not a single act of violence. The 19-hour spree began late Saturday afternoon, with the first calls coming in around 3:45 p.m. on Saturday. What started as a reported stolen vehicle quickly spiraled into one of the most chaotic shooting incidents Austin has seen in recent memory.

Austin police said the incident began at 3:45 p.m. on Saturday with a vehicle being reported stolen from an apartment complex, followed by a firearm being reported stolen from a store. Austin Police Chief Lisa Davis said at that point, officials did not know the two incidents were connected. However, approximately 20 additional service calls related to the suspects followed, predominantly in South and East Austin.

The suspects did not stop when night fell. They paused. Then they started again.

The shootings paused overnight before resuming Sunday morning at 8:47 a.m., when a man walking his dog was shot in the back near the intersection of Janes Ranch Road and Ballydawn Drive in southeast Austin. Police then began connecting the incidents.

That connection changed everything. Law enforcement agencies across the region started working together, and the response grew rapidly.

How Many Shootings Took Place

By the time police closed in on the suspects, the numbers were staggering.

Three people are in police custody in connection with 12 shootings and multiple car thefts across Austin this weekend. One shooting victim sustained serious injuries and three others have minor injuries, Austin Police Chief Lisa Davis said Sunday.

Here is a quick breakdown of what the 12 incidents involved:

  • Gunfire at two separate Austin Fire Department stations
  • Shootings near apartment buildings and homes
  • A man shot while walking his dog on Sunday morning
  • A shooting in front of a store, caught on a pole camera
  • Multiple incidents across South, East, and Southwest Austin

Davis said most of the shootings occurred in South Austin. Mayor Kirk Watson said that includes two at different fire stations, including one when a firetruck was hit with gunfire with fire personnel standing right behind it. Davis said the suspects also fired at apartment buildings. Officers, in turn, went door-to-door to ensure everyone in the apartment buildings was safe.

Fire Stations Targeted: A Deeply Disturbing Detail

One of the most alarming parts of the Austin shooting today was that first responders were directly targeted.

According to Austin Fire, AFD Station 26, located in east Austin, was shot at around 9 p.m. Saturday. Austin Police said a second shooting occurred at AFD Station 32, located in southwest Austin, on Sunday around 10:50 a.m. No one was hurt, but APD said the building was hit with gunfire. AFD said the gunshots hit the station’s garage door and one of the apparatuses in the bay.

Think about that for a moment. Firefighters, who respond to emergencies every single day, were targeted at their stations. Despite the danger, Austin firefighters continued to answer every call for help. All fire stations across the city were placed on lockdown. “Our members are continuing to respond city-wide to other reported shootings and to care for victims,” said David Girouard, president of the Austin Firefighters Association.

That kind of bravery deserves recognition.

Who Are the Suspects

Teenagers With Stolen Guns

When police finally caught up with the suspects, the details were deeply troubling. These were not hardened career criminals. They were teenagers.

Austin Police Chief Lisa Davis identified two suspects as a 15-year-old and a 17-year-old. The 17-year-old had an existing warrant for the theft of a firearm from the same store where the 15-year-old had stolen a gun from Saturday. Davis said both firearms used in the shootings were stolen. They are being taken to juvenile detention, and Davis said investigators are not yet interviewing them.

A 15-year-old. A 17-year-old. And a third suspect who initially fled.

The Manor Police Department announced late Sunday that the third suspect had been detained. The two teenage suspects have not been identified but will be placed in juvenile detention, Davis said.

How They Were Caught

The chase ended in Manor, a suburb just east of Austin, and it took a massive law enforcement effort to bring it to a close.

The incident ended with a car chase involving Manor police and several other law enforcement agencies around 5 p.m. Davis said when authorities in Manor stopped the vehicle, three suspects ran from the car. All three are said to be male and in their late teens.

Manor police said they were ending an exhaustive search that involved nearly 200 officers, including canine, SWAT, helicopter and drone support.

Nearly 200 officers, drones, helicopters, and a SWAT team. All to catch three teenagers.

The Vehicles Used

The suspects were not hiding. They were mobile and aggressive.

Investigators previously said the suspects were believed to be switching between multiple stolen vehicles, including a black or dark blue Hyundai, a gold Hyundai sedan, a silver Mazda CX-5 and a white Kia Optima.

Davis said at least four vehicles were stolen. “We had two individuals that were going and robbing cars, and then started firing shots at people,” Davis said Sunday evening. “We had one pole cam that was up that actually captured one of the shootings in front of a store where two people were shot.”

The Victims: What We Know

The human toll of the Austin shooting today is the most important part of this story.

Four people were injured, including one person who was critically wounded but is now stable, and multiple buildings, including two fire stations, were struck by gunfire.

Here is what we know about the injuries:

  • One victim: Suffered critical injuries and was transported to a local trauma center. That person received whole blood treatment at the scene and is now listed in stable condition.
  • Three other victims: Sustained non-life-threatening injuries.
  • Fire station personnel: No injuries reported at either fire station, despite the buildings and vehicles being struck.

Officers arriving on the scene found a man with gunshot wounds at Janes Ranch Road. He was taken to a local hospital in serious but stable condition.

Every one of these people was simply going about their normal life when they were shot at randomly. That is what makes this incident so deeply unsettling.

Shelter-in-Place Order: What Residents Experienced

If you were in South Austin on Sunday afternoon, you likely received an emergency alert on your phone. That alert was serious, and it covered a large part of the city.

A shelter-in-place alert that went out just before 3:30 p.m. Sunday covered an area of South Austin bordered by Slaughter Lane, McKinney Falls Parkway, Ben White Boulevard and Escarpment Boulevard.

On the department’s social media account, a post said that the shelter-in-place order was due to officers searching for suspects connected to multiple shootings. The post asked residents to stay indoors “until further notice.”

The order caused significant disruption. Businesses locked their doors. Families stayed inside. Parents kept children away from windows. It was, by any measure, one of the most frightening afternoons in Austin’s recent history.

Eventually, the order was lifted. The shelter-in-place for the south Austin area has been lifted, and all three suspects are in custody. Officials said there is no ongoing threat to the public at this time.

What the Mayor and Police Chief Said

Both Austin Mayor Kirk Watson and Police Chief Lisa Davis addressed the public directly on Sunday. Their words were measured but clearly reflected the gravity of the situation.

During an earlier briefing, Kirk Watson said investigators had not identified a motive and described the shootings as random in nature. “These actions appear to be random,” Watson said. “This is an active, ongoing investigation.”

Chief Davis did not hold back her frustration and disbelief.

“I don’t know what a motive is,” she said. “I don’t know what motive would drive anybody to come and drive around senselessly in this city, in multiple parts of this city, shooting.”

She also addressed the seriousness of the situation directly: “This is a serious situation, and we will let the justice system at this point take over,” Davis said.

Her words carried the weight of someone who had just managed one of the most complex and frightening law enforcement responses in the city’s history.

The Massive Law Enforcement Response

Getting three suspects off the streets required an extraordinary coordination of resources.

APD was assisted by the Austin Fire Department, Austin Travis County EMS, the Travis County Sheriff’s Office, the Department of Public Safety and Manor Police Department.

At its peak, the response included:

  • Nearly 200 officers on the ground
  • Canine units
  • SWAT teams
  • Helicopter support
  • Drone surveillance
  • Multiple law enforcement agencies working together across jurisdictions

That level of response shows just how seriously authorities took this threat. And frankly, given the number of shootings and the random nature of the attacks, that response was entirely justified.

Why This Austin Shooting Today Feels Different

Austin has dealt with gun violence before. As recently as March 1, 2026, a mass shooting at Buford’s Backyard Beer Garden on West Sixth Street left three people dead and 15 injured. The city has been grappling with public safety challenges for years.

But this incident feels different for several reasons.

The randomness is terrifying. There was no identifiable target. No specific location. No personal dispute. The suspects appear to have driven around the city and fired at whatever was in front of them. A dog walker. A fire station. An apartment building. A person standing near a store.

The suspects are children. When we say “suspects,” we are talking about a 15-year-old and a 17-year-old. That raises enormous questions about how juveniles gain access to stolen firearms, what conditions lead young people to commit acts this extreme, and how the juvenile justice system will respond.

The scale was unprecedented. Twelve shooting incidents across multiple neighborhoods in under 24 hours is not a typical event. It required a city-wide response and left thousands of residents scared to leave their homes.

What Happens Next

With all three suspects now in custody, the immediate crisis is over. But the questions that follow are just as important.

Here is what to expect in the coming days:

  1. Juvenile proceedings: The 15 and 17-year-old will face charges through the juvenile justice system in Texas. Their identities will likely remain protected due to their age.
  2. Investigation into the third suspect: Police have said they are not yet certain of the extent of the third suspect’s involvement.
  3. Community response: Expect calls from local leaders for stronger gun theft prevention, juvenile intervention programs, and community safety measures.
  4. Ongoing investigation: Investigators are still piecing together the full timeline and determining whether all 12 incidents are definitively linked.

Anyone with information is asked to contact APD’s Aggravated Assault Unit at 512-974-5177. Tips may also be submitted anonymously through Capital Area Crime Stoppers online or at 512-472-8477. A reward of up to $1,000 is available for information leading to an arrest.

How Austin Residents Can Stay Safe

If you live in Austin, here are practical steps you can take right now:

  • Sign up for Austin emergency alerts so you receive real-time shelter-in-place notifications
  • Trust your instincts: If you hear gunshots, get low and move away from windows and doors
  • Report suspicious activity: Call 911 immediately if you witness anything alarming
  • Check on your neighbors: Elderly residents or those without smartphones may not receive emergency alerts
  • Follow official sources: During active incidents, rely on APD’s verified social media accounts, not unverified posts

Conclusion

The Austin shooting today was a terrifying reminder that gun violence can strike anywhere, at any time, and for no discernible reason. What began with a stolen car on Saturday afternoon turned into a 19-hour ordeal that left four people injured, paralyzed parts of the city, targeted first responders, and ended with three teenagers in custody.

The city of Austin is resilient. Law enforcement responded quickly and professionally. But this incident raises questions that will not go away quickly. How do teenagers access stolen firearms so easily? What drives young people to this level of violence? And what does Austin need to do differently to prevent the next incident?

We want to hear from you. If you live in Austin or have thoughts on juvenile gun violence and public safety, share this article and start a conversation. Because silence after something like this is not an option.

Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)

1. What happened in Austin today? At least 12 shooting incidents took place across Austin from Saturday afternoon into Sunday. Four people were injured. Three suspects, all teenagers, are now in custody.

2. Where did the Austin shootings happen? Most shootings occurred in South and East Austin. Incidents were reported in the 6700 block of Wentworth Drive, near Janes Ranch Road, Montebello Road in southwest Austin, near Burton Drive and Oltorf Street, and at two Austin Fire Department stations.

3. Who are the suspects in the Austin shooting today? Police identified a 15-year-old and a 17-year-old as the primary suspects. A third suspect, also in his late teens, was detained by Manor police Sunday night. Their identities have not been publicly released due to their age.

4. What was the motive for the Austin shooting spree? No motive has been identified. Austin Mayor Kirk Watson and Police Chief Lisa Davis both described the shootings as apparently random. Davis said she could not understand what would drive anyone to act this way.

5. Were any firefighters hurt in the Austin fire station shootings? No. Both AFD Station 26 and Station 32 were struck by gunfire, but no firefighters were injured. The garage door and a fire apparatus at Station 32 were hit.

6. What is the condition of the victims? One victim sustained critical injuries and was taken to a local trauma center. That person is now in stable condition. Three other victims suffered non-life-threatening injuries.

7. Was there a shelter-in-place order in Austin today? Yes. A shelter-in-place order was issued for a large area of South Austin on Sunday afternoon. The order was lifted once two suspects were in custody. A third was apprehended in Manor shortly after.

8. How did police catch the suspects? Law enforcement tracked the suspects to Manor, east of Austin. Nearly 200 officers, along with canine units, SWAT, helicopters, and drones, participated in the search. The suspects were caught following a car chase and foot pursuit.

9. Were the guns used in the Austin shooting legally owned? No. Police confirmed that both firearms used in the shootings were stolen. The 17-year-old already had an outstanding warrant for stealing a gun. The 15-year-old reportedly stole a gun from the same store on Saturday.

10. Is Austin safe now? Authorities have confirmed there is no ongoing threat to the public at this time. All three suspects are in custody, and the shelter-in-place order has been lifted.

Author Bio

Jordan Ellis is a crime and public affairs journalist with over eight years of experience covering breaking news, law enforcement, and community safety across Texas. Jordan specializes in translating complex police investigations into clear, accessible reporting for everyday readers. When not covering the news cycle, Jordan advocates for community-based violence prevention programs and public safety education.

Also read encyclopediausa.co.uk
Email: johanharwen314@gmail.com
Author Name: Johan Harwen

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *